Maple Reinders was selected by the Calgary Catholic School Board to construct a new high school. The new school is situated on 12.2 acres in northeast Calgary. The 127,800 SF facility includes a 16,600 SF gymnasium, with 94,000 SF allocated to classrooms.
The school supports the many existing and developing communities of north Calgary and has a core capacity of 1,000 students along with extensive Career and Technology Studies facilities.
The two-storey building was designed with a high focus on independent learning with half the space devoted to it and the other half to more traditional teaching models.
The structure consists of compacto-piles, structural slab, load bearing block walls, structural steel framing, second floor metal deck and concrete topping and roofing. The exterior is comprised of masonry block walls, glazing and metal siding. The classrooms are finished with painted concrete block walls, VCT flooring and acoustic tile ceilings. The gymnasium has a concrete sub-floor, hardwood tongue and groove floor, as well as painted concrete block walls.
Maple Reinders completed the Design-Build contract for the second phase of The Meeting House, which involved expanding the theatre seating to add another 600 seats, reworking the existing Sunday school rooms and administration offices, and renovating the remaining warehouse space.
For years, Thorncliffe Park Elementary School endured overcrowding challenges. To accommodate its diverse, growing student population, the Toronto District School Board contracted with Maple Reinders to expand and renovate the existing school.
The construction of the school took place while the existing Westbrook School (built in 1953) was in use for an entire school year. The contract included abatement and demolition of the existing school which was undertaken during the summer break.